center strip center strip isabelle home isabelle headers isabelle about me

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Story

Hi friends!~

Hope everyone has been having a great week so far...

I have decided that once a month, I'm gonna write about a random story of some sort, that happened in our family. It might not be a super EXCITING story, but just something that I'm reminiscing back on. This time I'm going to write about a canoe trip that happened last year, in early fall.


~~~~~~

So, we woke up at about 5-6:00 in the morning, and drove to a river about 10-15 miles away. Once we got there, everyone got out of the car, and unloaded the canoes, paddles, life vests, food, etc,. In one canoe it was me, Doug, and Jeff, and in the other canoe was Noelle, Anna and Dad. I would've preferred to have been in a canoe with Noelle, but it just didn't work out that way, so I was stuck with the boys : ) ha ha.

So, we started out... one canoe at a time. For the first 30-40 minutes, the fog over the water was SO thick, it was hard to see around. We all wore coats cause it was COLD. Period. But after awhile it got gradually warmer, so we didn't have to wear the coats the whole time. After about 30 minutes of paddling, we stopped in the middle of the river to eat some of the food we had brought. Yeah, it was kinda hard to paddle to eachother's canoes without drifting away (haha!), but it worked out okay. Then we just kept paddling. We were hoping for some BIG currents, but didn't get many : ) when we did have some, we got ALL excited, and when RIGHT towards them, but didn't get the excitement we had hoped for! Ha!
It had been awhile since we had eaten, so we decided to stop again. Dad found an old bridge, that he guessed could've been from the civil war era, so we went towards that.... it was SO cool looking! Then, behind the bridge, was a hidden, tree shaded part of the river. We paddled under the bridge, over to the shaded spot, to stop and eat. The water was a lot darker, so I assumed that it was a bit deeper. Dad started handing out food to everyone, and I decided to get out of the boat, and onto an old log that was in the river. Why did I think that was a good idea?! The minute I got on the log, it started to drift away, so with one foot still in the boat, and one on the log, I tried my best to get back in the canoe. But, the canoe started to drift away, and I ended up in a split, then falling in the water... in.my.clothes. AND, the water WAS just as deep as I had imagined, if not more so. So, while I was struggling to get back in the boat, Doug tried to help me back in, and HE ended up falling in the water, and flipping over the canoe! It was kinda funny! So, we both swam over to the log, hopped on it, and waited for dad to turn our canoe back over, and bring it to us. Once we were all back it the canoe, I was FREEZING. If you can imagine, already being cold, then falling in COLD water, with your clothes on... yep. : )
So, we paddled back under the bridge, out into the open, and started back up on our journey : )
It seemed soooo long, and my arms got SO tired from paddling. Then, we were able to switch up, and Noelle came over into our canoe, and Jeff went over into Dad's canoe.
Then we got into some kind of fight, or disagreement, and I jumped out of the canoe, and swam in the deep water. I was being a liiiiitle crazy! Then, as i was trying to catch up with them, i got caught in some weird netting of some sort, then i was starting to freak out, cause i saw fish all around me, and whatever else you can think of! After they had gotten me back in the canoe, we only had a few miles left, so Noelle and Doug paddled while I slept... yes, the faithful sister! haha!

After we had gotten to shore, everyone took their life vests of, and swam in the shallow water, or waded. Then mom came with the trailer hooked to the back of the car, and we loaded up the canoes, and drove home.

So, I hope you guys didn't get too bored reading the little story, but we really did have a fun time on that canoe trip (believe it or not!)!

Hope everyone has a blessed rest of the week!

<3 Isabelle <3

No comments: